Young Investigators (YIs) are hepatologists-in-training, under the age of 35, and an integral part of the community of EASL members.
We are proud to play a part in their academic development and to facilitate collaborations among this new generation of academics and more seasoned clinicians and experts. The community is led by the Young Investigators Task Force, who are in charge of organising specific educational initiatives for young hepatologists.
Join the community of YIs! Bookmark this page, check it continually, and share it with your colleagues so that together we can make this community grow.
To access the latest news, create your My EASL profile.
Quick access menu to EASL's offers for YIs
YIs learning programmes
Are you a young scientist on a dynamic career path in hepatology? Are you exploring the next challenge, as you develop as a Young Investigator? Do you have novel, forward-looking research ideas that you are eager to implement?
The EASL Mentorships Programme was created to stimulate scientific exchange and personal, developmental relationships – notably with a more experienced and knowledgeable hepatologist guiding a Young Investigator through a crucial stage of their career path.
EASL Emerging Leader Award
The EASL Emerging Leader Award is an annual award, dedicated specifically to young fellows. Every year, the EASL Governing Board and Young Investigators Task Force select two YI Awardees, based on their international liver research achievements.
EASL supports Young Investigators by helping them attend EASL meetings. We offer two types of bursaries to the presenting authors only of the best accepted abstracts who are aged 35 or younger and/or are still in training.
Upcoming EASL Schools & Masterclasses
EASL Schools serve to train up the next generation of hepatologists. They are aimed at YIs enrolled in hepatology-oriented departments or at more experienced clinicians, wanting to learn about the latest trends in hepatology.
EASL Schools work on a flipped-classroom model: participants receive prereading materials/handouts and are expected to prepare different assignments in advance.
Discover the 2021 EASL Schools:
- Progress, pitfalls, and challenges in the management of portal hypertension, 11–12 June 2021, Barcelona (Spain)
- Rare Liver Diseases: Improving diagnosis and care, 18–19 June 2021, Hamburg (Germany)
- School of Pathology, 1–2 July 2021, Amsterdam (The Netherlands)
- Management of acute-on-chronic liver failure, 2–3 July 2021, Frankfurt (Germany)
YIs & the International Liver Congress™
The YIs Task Force is proactive in organising various activities for Young Investigators during the International Liver Congress™, such as:
- YIs Seminars, dealing with topics of particular interest for YIs, but not covered by other sessions at the Congress
- Dedicated YIs Sessions addressing practical questions from YIs, in an informal environment
- The YI Award, honouring two YIs based on their international liver research achievements
Keep an eye on this page! The dedicated programme for ILC 2021 will be announced soon.