This latest episode of EASL’s webcast series on COVID-19 and the liver examines the impact of the pandemic on European efforts to eliminate hepatitis as a public health threat by 2030. Professor Antonio Craxi was joined by Professor Mark Thursz, Professor Jeffrey Lazarus, Dr Loreta Kondili and Sarah Blach for this important topic.
Professor Thursz opened the webcast by updating on the HCV cascade of care in Europe and the barriers to treatment faced by people living with HCV. Dr Kondili then focused on the barriers to HCV screening at different healthcare levels before Sarah Blach described her work in modelling the impact of COVID-19 on HCV elimination. Professor Lazarus then analysed how the experience gained by clinicians and policymakers in the COVID-19 pandemic can be harnessed to promote HCV elimination. In the closing discussion, the panel discussed the potential for linking HCV testing to the COVID-19 vaccination programme, how the rate of new HCV infections has changed during the pandemic, and how HCV elimination will interact with other healthcare priorities as the pandemic ends.
Moderator: Prof. Antonio Craxì
• Sarah Blach, MHS CPH
• Dr Loreta Kondili
• Prof. Jeffrey Lazarus
• Prof. Mark Thursz
- Understand the cascade of care in Europe and what are the barriers to treatment for patient with HCV
- Learn more about HCV screening
- Understand the impact of COVID-19 on HCV elimination programme
- Learn how experience gained during the COVID-19 pandemic can be used to promote HCV elimination
- General practitioners
- Health care professionals
- Clinical researchers and scientists