COVID-19 measures implemented in Portugal
Updated: 4 October 2021
All face-to-face EASL events follow the latest in health and safety measures. Your safety is our priority. We are merging the very best of face-to-face events with cutting-edge developments in meeting technology. With more time for reflection, more space for comfort.
All session rooms, catering points, exhibition areas, and corridors will be arranged to keep delegates at a safe, yet friendly distance. You can once again enjoy mingling again with your peers, connecting nationally and internationally, across the full liver community.
We look forward to meeting again with you in a stimulating and secure setting.
Measures in force may be reviewed in accordance to the evolution of the pandemic.
ALLOWED (Essential and non-essential travel):
Countries of the European Union, Schengen associated countries (Liechtenstein, Norway, Iceland, Switzerland), Albania, Armenia, Australia, Azerbaijan, Bosnia and Herzegovina, Brazil, Brunei, Canada, China, South Korea, United States of America, Japan, Jordan, New Zealand, Qatar, Republic of Moldova, Saudi Arabia, Serbia, Singapore, Taiwan, Ukraine, United Kingdom and special administrative regions of Hong Kong and Macao.
- RT-PCR Test (or similar NAAT test) - 72h before boarding, or
- Rapid Antigen Test - 48h before boarding, or
- a valid EU Digital COVID Certificate
- Children under 12 do not need to present test.
- All passengers need to fill a Passenger Locator Card (individually) before departure to Portugal or on board at https://portugalcleanandsafe.pt/en/passenger-locator-card
No restrictions of entrance, except for citizens coming from India, Nepal, and South Africa in the last 14 days, only for essential travel:
- Must comply 14-day quarantine period at home or at a place indicated by the health authorities;
- Must register before entering the country at https://travel.sef.pt
In addition to information within your country, we advise you to consult these websites. They provide information on the various restrictions in place in every country, including on quarantine and testing requirements for travellers:
- The use of face masks is mandatory in all public transports (buses, trains, taxis, etc.).
- Public transports without occupancy limit
- Taxis and similar passenger transports without occupancy limit.
Mandatory use of face masks:
- In public transport (including air transport and taxis or TVDE), concert halls and events, large commercial surfaces, residential structures for the elderly, health establishments and services.
- By workers in bars, clubs, restaurants and commercial and service establishments.
General rules in the country:
- No limit on capacities inside the meeting rooms
- Mandatory the use of mask inside meeting spaces and hands sanitation
- Restaurants with no maximum limit of people per groups
- End of requirement for digital certificate or negative test for access to restaurants;
- End of timetable restrictions;
- End of capacity limits, namely in local commerce establishments, in weddings and baptisms and in cultural shows;
It is mandatory to present EU COVID Digital Certificate in:
- Major cultural and sporting events (check the event website for more info);
- Bars and clubs;
- Visits to health facilities.
* The types of tests allowed are:
- RT-PCR carried out within 72 hours prior to submission;
- Antigen test with laboratory report, carried out within 48 hours prior to its submission;
- Rapid antigen test using the self-test method, carried out within the 24 hours prior to submission in the presence of a health or pharmaceutical professional who certifies its performance and result;
- Rapid self-test antigen test carried out on the spot, at the door of the establishment to be visited, under the supervision of the persons in charge of these premises.