Now with over 4,500 members from all over the world, EASL is an influential international organisation. It attracts the foremost hepatology experts as members and has an impressive track record in promoting research in liver disease, supporting wider education, and promoting changes in European liver policy.
The EASL Governing Board is composed of 11 scientific experts. The EASL Governing Board is dedicated to the pursuit of excellence in Hepatology, liver research and the clinical practice of liver disorders.
The Governing Board has the following duties: Read more
- To manage the business of the Association.
- To carry out the resolutions taken at the Business Meeting.
- To represent the Association. The Secretary General has joint signatory power together with the Treasurer or any other person entrusted with the management and representation by the Governing Board.
- To attend to all matters which are not delegated to or reserved for another functional body of the Association pursuant to the law or the Articles of Association.
- To accept new Ordinary Members, Corresponding Members and Trainee Members.
- In case of considerable financial gains, the Governing Board prepares proposals for approval at the Business Meeting for the destination of parts of these gains. These destinations should serve purposes that are in agreement with the aims of the Association.
- To prepare proposals for alterations of the Articles of Association if necessary.
- To decide about matters concerning the EASL membership fee.
- To select and propose to the Business Meeting the name of the Editor-in-Chief of the Journal of Hepatology.
The Secretary General is the Chief Executive of the association for a period of 2 years having already served as Vice-Secretary.
The Vice-Secretary serves for 2 years in close collaboration with the Secretary General and will become the next Secretary General in term.
The Treasurer has been elected by the EASL assembly as a non-voting member of the Governing Board for a second term of five years. All Governing Board members share responsibility for the society’s finances.
EU Policy Councillor
The EU Policy Councillor position was approved as a 5-year position during the General Assembly in Vienna, Austria, 17 April 2010.
Prof. Maria ButiEASL EU Policy Councillor
Prof. Maria Buti is EU Policy Councillor from January 2020. Professor of Medicine Chief of the Internal Medicine and Hepatology Department Hospital General Universitari Valle Hebron, Barcelona, Professor of Medicine .
Scientific Committee members
There are 6 Scientific Committee members. All of them are elected by the EASL assembly for a period of 3 years.
Liver Unit. Hospital Clínic of Barcelona
University of Barcelona
The Educational Councillor was elected for a 4 year term by the EASL assembly.